Saturday, November 20, 2010

Decking the halls, or well, the walls.

So, this week started off with my finding this:




I immediately wanted to make them.  You can see the tutorial and such here and if you go here, you can see another version.  I loved them. 

After a trip to the Dollar Tree, I had what I needed to get started.  But before I show you my ruffled trees - I wanted to show you the ones I made for the wall.  YES, the wall.  I was actually in the middle of making the trees like the ones above, I thought it would be cool if I could cut the tree in half and hang it on the wall.  But then I thought about how I would attach it to the wall.  I didn't want nails and didn't want to buy a ton of those 3M Command Strips either.  What else could I do here?  Changing gears, I started digging through my stash and found some good cardboard.  I cut them into tree shapes and then started hot gluing ruffles down. 

Here's the process - excuse the bad photos - I was on a roll and didn't want to go grab the real camera  so I shot these with my phone.  Here's the bones of the tree - just cut out cardboard.



Started adding a few ruffles:



 And after a few more ruffles:




So, I kept going and going and ended up with this:

A teeny tree:
 All burlap (and my favorite):
 Second favorite:

I had the burlap from another project and the green fabric was from a shirt that Jason didn't want anymore!
So, aside from the tons of glue sticks I used - this was a super cheap project!

Thanks for looking and I'm linking up to Tatertots and Jello's Weekend Wrap Up Party! Go check it out, there are always tons and tons of ideas!! Oh, and you'll have to come back to see the ruffle trees I made!



Lisa

1 comment:

Fowl Single File said...

They're perfect! I love your use of burlap, too. What a great way to spruce up your walls and use up scraps at the same time!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin