Sunday, May 20, 2012

tutorial i forgot to share

Well, it's been a while - a long long long while!  I did this little tutorial for The CSI Project a little while back and forgot to share it here - so here it is:  

I know we've all seen clipboards decorated with paper, ribbon, paint, etc.  I think I've made more than I could use in a lifetime!! BUT, I was walking through a store a few weeks ago and saw a super cute clipboard.  It had a great shape to it - not just your basic clipboard shape.  The problem - it was $13.99 and that's just nuts!!  So, I picked up a clipboard from the dollar store and got some tools out.

Supplies needed:

Clipboard
Template with desired shape
Dremel (or similar tool)
Paint (optional)
Patterned paper
Mod Podge
Sand paper or nail file
Adhesive runner (optional)


First, I found a shape I wanted for the bottom of the clipboard.  I used my Silhouette to cut the shape I wanted, but you could sketch it out, or print it and cut it out.  I traced the shape on my clipboard and got busy.


I used a Craftsman tool that's similar to the Dremel.  I started slow and sanded away right below the line I drew.


Since the bottom of my design ended close to the bottom of the clipboard, I just started at the edge and drilled in for that small section.


Then I moved to the side areas and  I sanded, sanded and then sanded some more.  I just continued to sand and sand until I could see a little light through the clipboard.


I was able to just break off the bottom section eventually.

As with any project, be sure to wear proper safety gear and remember to not let your tools overheat.  I stopped three or four times to give the Craftsman a break and cool off a bit since this took a lot of sanding.


Once the bottom section was removed, I sanded along the edge and smoothed it out.  I went ahead and sanded all the way around the clipboard, front and back, just to have a consistent look!!


Here's a close up:


Now it's time to  move on and decorate the board.  I decided not to paint my clipboard since the paper I picked went well with the natural color of the clipboard.  If you want to paint, this is the time to do that.  Then you can pick your paper.


I coated the back of the paper and the clipboard with Mod Podge and then placed my paper on the clipboard.  I use extra Mod Podge on the curved end since there isn't a straight edge.


Then I coated the top of the paper with Mod Podge.  I would give the clipboard time to dry before applying the top coat of Mod Podge.  This is when you wait and wait and wait for the Mod Podge to dry!


I added a few scraps of paper to the top of the clipboard, as well, applying it the same way.


Once my clipboard was mostly dry, I took a nail file and filed off the edges all the way around the clipboard.


I decided to add a piece of ribbon around the clipboard and I attached this with my adhesive runner.  I'm thinking I could loosen the ribbon and slip a pen in and tie it back!!


And here's my finished clipboard - I simply added a cute note pad and it's done.


I had everything on hand except the clipboard and it was only $1!!  I really want to make a few more and try different designs. We have friends we play cards with and one would be really cute to use for us to keep score on.  I think I'll make another one with a scalloped border.  And Teacher Appreciation is just around the corner and you know teachers can always use a clipboard and there's even room to put a name across the bottom! 

Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial - now go run to a dollar store and get crafty!!

 Thanks for stopping by!
Lisa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin