Michelle tagged me with what could very well be the best TAG ever! If you know me at all, you know I love music - I have for as long as I can remember. And I remember my first record player and my first album (Pat Benetar). I remember my first CD player and CD (Skid Row). OH, totally skipped the cassette tapes. I remember my first tape player, but not my first tape. I do remember recording things off the radio - just by putting my tape deck next to the radio!! I used to tape my favorite songs off the top 40 countdown on Sunday's. I used to love watching American Bandstand and hearing the newest songs. I also LOVED Dance Party USA!!!
Anyway - here's how it goes:
It's a list of 10 songs that grab you emotionally, whether it's a lump in the throat or brings tears to your eyes, or evokes some fond memories.
This is a hard list to make - there are so many songs for me!!
1. Somewhere in the Sun - Kenny Chesney
2. It's Your Love - Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
3. Don't Speak - No Doubt
4. I'm Moving On - Rascal Flatts
5. Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks (yes, I know, I know - but I like this ONE song)
6. I Hope You Dance - LeAnne Womack
7. Something in the Way She Moves - James Taylor
8. I Go Back - Kenny Chesney
9. Stay - Lisa Loeb
10. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
And Michelle did an Honorable Mention list, so I feel like I can too!
1. One Particular Harbor - Jimmy Buffett
2. Little Miss Magic - Jimmy Buffett
3. Push - Matchbox 20
4. All We Are - Matt Nathanson
5. Love Song - Tesla
6. Stupid Boy - Keith Urban
Now I feel like I should explain a few choice - just for fun (and I'm procrastinating on doing a few other things).
1. Somewhere in the Sun - Kenny Chesney - I've talked about this one before - this whole CD was my escape when Cole was in the hospital in Mobile (this very month four years ago). I would hit PLAY everytime I got in the Blazer and headed home to to laundry, or pick up toys or whatever. I would listen to this over and over and think about the day we'd be 'somewhere in the sun' - and I didn't mean the parking lot of that darned hospital!!
2. It's Your Love - Tim McGraw and Faith Hill - this is our song - so you know, i love it!
3. Don't Speak - No Doubt - I remember sitting in the floor behind the counter at Musicland, reading the lyrics to this song and my eyes filling with tears - mostly because of where I was in my life at the time!! I remember Michelle talking to me and I couldn't even form a thought to answer her. I like the song now but it isn't the same anymore - thankfully!
4. I'm Moving On - Rascal Flatts - this is a theme for me I think. There was a certain time in my life where I really needed to MOVE ON. I needed to grow up. I needed to stand on my own. I did that and when I hear this song - it reminds me of that time.
5. Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks - I know I'm not supposed to like them. I don't. But, this song was way before Natalie opened her big mouth and talked bad about "W". Anyway - another moving on kind of song. I love the part about the dad reminding her to 'check her oil' - something my dad would do. And I really needed the wide open spaces so I could grow up!!
6. I Hope You Dance - LeAnne Womack - this was a hit when Cole was born. He was pretty colicy and liked to be up late crying. So I would turn this on the CD player and we'd walk around the living room until he calmed down and fell asleep. He loved watching the video, too - but now doesn't even remember the song.
7. Something in the Way She Moves - James Taylor - his voice is amazing. I loved this song the first time I heard it. And it has nothing to do with the fact the David played it for Donna during his radio show in high school (you know - 90210). Really, nothing to do with that! lol
8. I Go Back - Kenny Chesney - this song gets me everytime I hear it. I love the thought that just a song can take you back to a moment in time. The whole part about 'the loss of a real good friend and the 16 summers I shared with him' - that gets me. My cousin's husband comes to mind. I knew him for 16 summers when he died.
9. Stay - Lisa Loeb - Jason made fun of this song and me several times this weekend. I just got new glasses and had straight hair this weekend so he thought I was channeling my inner Lisa Loeb. Maybe I was?? I still love the song and play it LOUD in the car - even when I'm not wearing the Lisa Loeb glasses!
10. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes - This is just a great song - I love it. I had this cd, well actually it was a Billboard Top Ten cd. Kristin and I used to listen to it in the car. So when I hear it now, I think of her!
And as far as the Honorable Mentions - Love the two Jimmy songs - just reminds me of different times in Mobile. Jason was a huge Buffett fan when we met and I wasn't all OH I LOVE JIMMY BUFFETT but I knew several songs and liked his music. Later, I loved more and more songs and when I hear them now - it reminds me of good times with friends!!
Push is my all time favorite Matchbox 20 song - not specific reason - I just love it. It seems I have a thing for songs like that (Don't Speak, Push and Stupid Boy all share a few common things).
Love Song is just great. I remember blasting it in my little Mazda, with my sunroof open and doing the circle in Hueytown. That cd is still in my disc changer in my studio. Love it!!
Okay - if you made it this far - thanks!! And now I want to tag Virginia and Mandy (I really want to see your lists), and since Michelle did it, I think J. should, too - but I doubt he reads my blog, so Michelle - pass it on for me!!
Ok - now I need to do all my stuff! I have to sew a snugglie today for my Birthday Boy - I can't believe he'll be 8 tomorrow!!