So, I'm playing along with CSI Project again this week. Here's the info for the current challenge.
Most of the projects that are linked up seem to be using items that really were rescued from the roadside. Mine is a bit different, but still a rescue. I started working at an eye doctors office about 7 weeks ago. I'm always on the look out for something crafty - something I can make out of nothing, something that gets overlooked. So, I found these:
These are all the plastic lens we take out of the frames and replace with the patient's real lenses. These were just being trashed, which seems logical - I mean, what else would you do with them??? Well, here's what I did with them:
I used my trusty Dremel and drilled away at the sides until I got a good shape. Then I drilled a hole in the top for a jump ring. I used GLOO to glue the paper on to the back of the lens and then once that was really dry, I used another glue (Paper Glaze maybe) to cover the back of the paper. This just seals the back in a way, so the paper doesn't peal off. For the one above, I did our favorite college football team's colors (red and white), the houndstooth is a popular pattern for the team, too. I added a little charm I made last year with red, black and silver beads and a metal stamped L charm. Perfect for football season!! (35 days away, I believe).
And here are a few more:
This one is just black and white - pretty basic. I used one lens here, along with a Tim Holtz fragment and a broken earring. Here's the lens:
Another team pendent - the same broken earring works here, too. Here's just the lens - with my initial:
And one last one:
The one above was the toughest for me - it was really hard to make it round - took me forever and I made a big mess with the Dremel. The lens in the back is just etched, so it's sort of foggy. Just thought it was a nice touch.
I have a ton of lenses left, waiting for ideas. I'm going to keep playing and see what else I can come up with.
Thanks for looking!